Friday, October 3, 2008

A gray and rainy sort of heaven.


I spent last week in Oregon. Most people think of Oregon and immediately picture gray clouds and rain. Truth be told, this sterotype does have some basis in reality. Though actually this only applies to the western half of the state. Nevertheless, even if it weren't true, Oregonians would perpetuate the myth to keep the state to themsleves. I digress . . .


Instead of being dreary or depressing, I find the clouds to be relaxing, contemplative. Its perfect for sleeping in, reading a book, or going for a run. I love what the rain does. It makes everything green, it grows moss and ferns, it makes rivers and creeks. Scenery comes with a price. Along the Southern California coastline this price is financial (and of course dealing with crowds and traffic). In Oregon the price is paid by enduring rainy winters and sometimes springs, and sometimes autumns. Anyway, I love it. I don't know what it is, I guess you live there long enough (I grew up there) and it gets in your blood.


For several years I lived in California. On those rare days when it would rain I would often go outside and stand and allow the raindrops to fall on my head. For those moments, I felt like I was home.


Now I live in Utah. Most of my family is still in Oregon. The rest of it is in San Diego. We don't get to see each other near as often as we'd like. We were always very close. We still are. It's just now that this closeness is separated by distance. Anyway, this last week we were all back together to celebrate my mom's birthday. It was a great trip. It was great to be home. It was even better to be with family. It was so much fun to catch up while watching our spawn play together. Can't believe how quickly the years have gone by.

Incedently, the word gray is peculiar. It is correctly spelled "grey" and "gray." I try to vary my spelling so as not to show favoritism to either option.


1 comment:

heidi said...

i tend to favor the "ey" spelling. and i so know what you mean about scenery for a price. i miss the green and wet of BC so much.