Sunday, September 14, 2008

For my wife

This is for my wife, a die hard Charger fan, who is in mourning.

It's pretty obvious that two blown calls led to two touchdowns for the Broncos. Thus, the final score (to me) is San Diego 38 Denver 25 Officials 14. Two bad it was two teams against one.

That's not saying that the officials were cheating, just that they were inept when it mattered most. That's not saying the Broncos were bad. They played a very good game. HOWEVER:

1) The fumble that led to the first touchdown was clearly NOT A FUMBLE. The receiver was down by contact before the ball came out. The replay machine (mysteriously) wasn't working for two minutes, thus play stands as called on the field. This is not the opinion of a San Diego homer, I'm a Seattle fan. I would write a blog on the Seahawks dismal start but it is, presently, still too painful.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY,

2) Cutler's fumble at the end of the play was ruled an incomplete pass. It was clearly a fumble recovered by San Diego.

To quote Trent Dilfer on Sportscenter, "I wish I had something clever to say but I don't. Wow. That was clearly a fumble. You'd think with replay and everything we have in place you could get that call right."

I looked for the referee's name on NFL.com. I couldn't find it. I wanted to tell him he might want to read a certain persons blog so he could be warned: A certain person I know might be coming to his house to punch him in the face.

It's really a sad thing to see a great match-up marred by bad officiating. Makes me remember Superbowl XL. Think I've let that go? Of course not. I'm a Seahawks fan.

3 comments:

Troy said...

Here's a sampling of comments from the professional anaylysts:

"that was a horrible call"

"i don't know what to say but I'm going to say that was a horrible call"

"it was one of those days for the guys in the striped shirts. they clearly blew that call. It wasn't even a hard call"

"very late, very controversial, game changing call"

Even Ed Hochuli (the ref who blew the call) said, " I blew that call."

Which makes you wonder, if a player commits an egregious penalty he is fined a substantial monetary penalty. What sort of fine should a ref who costs a team a game get?

Crayl said...

Welcome, glad you have your own blog.
I am also glad , apparently, that I don't have TV signal currently to have watched that game...sad I tell ya.And you are right, the ref should get a penalty of some sort.

Thany said...

Yeah, it hurt. I was at the Padre Game near the clubhouses that have televisions and when it happened, you'd have thought a referee grabbed the ball, scored the TD himself and awarded it to the other team. I wanted to find out what happened but my hubby was DVR-ing the game so he didn't want to know.

In the end, he still didn't want to know.