Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday

Today is that day when shopping meets crazy sale meets absolute mayhem.

I've always thought it was kind of fun to watch people go absolutely nuts. Of course its also extremely pathetic. You know the spirit of Christmas shouldn't be typified by two suburban housewives playing an obscenity laden tug of war over tickle me elmo or whatever else is the toy of the year.

As such scenes aren't far too common, I was listening to the radio today and heard a sound clip from the archive of about cabbage patch dolls mania from 25 years ago. One lady who lost out on her search proclaimed angrily, "what am I supposed to tell my kids, that Santa ran out?"

My thought was, "How bout you don't get everything you want you sniveling little brat. Enjoy your Barbie doll and sweater from grandma. If you aren't grateful for those gifts I'll take them back and donate the money to the community food closet."

OK, probably not the most sympathetic response, but when did we raise kids that they should expect to get WHATEVER they want WHENEVER they want. I'm guessing 25 years ago, juding from the clip. Maybe if we had taught delayed gratification, thankfulness, and patience we'd be a little better off today in 2008.

Because, as I listened to the radio things got much worse. You've probably heard the story by now. I Wal Mart employee in Long Island was trampled and killed by an unruly mob of shoppers. If you haven't read the story and need to read it yourself to believe it it's here. A witness said the people acted like "savages." I don't know but maybe that's an insult to savages. Apparently as police tried to clear out the store, people tried to continue shopping, unfazed by the dead man. One person responded, "I've waited here all night I'm not leaving."

Something about this scened doesn't exactly ring, "Peace on earth, good will to men."

Sometimes I hate people. That's really doesn't bode well for me in my line of work.

Apparently the anti-Christmas spirit is contagious.

No comments: